Daniel and Mick once again taking your feedback and answering your questions in their distinctly British way! Please subscribe to their channel to stay in the loop.
In this episode they step out of their comfort zone and analytically approach solid state amps (Transistor amps in their vernacular!). It's true that the sound of a tube amp is a beautiful thing, but there are many great solid state contenders in the battle of tone! They keep getting asked for their opinion and so here is part 1.
They took three low/mid-price amps – one fully solid state, one solid state/modelling hybrid and one tube amp – and used them with a bunch of common overdrive and distortion pedals. They also try a compressor and a touch of delay.
We think they surprise themselves a little!
Pedals in this episode…
• Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer http://bit.ly/2deXzpR
• Fulltone OCD V7 http://bit.ly/2cPeUXK
• Electro-Harmonic Big Muff Pi With Tone Wicker http://bit.ly/2ddTBzu
• Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe http://bit.ly/2cyd9NR
• Strymon El Capistan http://bit.ly/2cud3aB
• Kingsley Harlot Tube Overdrive http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/
Amps in this episode…
• Orange Crush Pro CR60 http://bit.ly/2ddTrZ9
• Roland Blues Cube Stage http://bit.ly/2dhU1Ut
• Fender Bassbreaker 18/30 http://bit.ly/2ddSK1U
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
• Intro & context setting: 0:40 – 3:15
• Today’s amps: 3:15 – 6:00
• Today’s pedals introduction: 7:00
• Tube Screamer & all three amps (amps set ‘clean’): 7:51
• OCD & all three amps (amps set ‘clean’): 11:09
Big Muff Pi With Wicker into all the amps (amps set ‘clean’): 14:08
Kingsley Harlot into all the amps (amps set ‘clean’): 18:06
Origin Cali76 Compact Deluxe into all three amps (amps set ‘clean’): 21:20
All pedals into the Orange (amp set with gain): 29:27
OCD into the Roland (amp set with gain): 31:33
OCD into the Fender (amp set slightly more crunchy): 32:18
Tube Screamer into all Fender and Roland (amps set with gain/more crunchy) 33:05
Harlot into all three amps (amps set with gain/more crunchy) 34:08
Kingsley Harlot into Fender vs Roland Blues Cube on its own: 38:00
Everything on at once 43:30
Guitars in this episode
• Fender Custom Shop ’63 Telecaster– watch Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – watch Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
PRS DGT– watch Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2d8Xo2I
FAST & FREE Shipping on any item, any time within the contiguous US*, and most items ship the same or next day - even with the FREE Shipping method! See Shipping page for details.
*Exclusions include orders under $25, Strymon products, large or heavy items, some pre-owned and special order items. These exclusions are very minimal and they usually include a discounted ground shipping option, so you don’t typically pay the entire shipping price.
Riff Rewards= FREE GEAR! No other music website gives you points on EVERY purchase that can be redeemed for Riff City Gift Cards which you can be used to buy FREE GEAR! Enrollment is automatic, you don't need to sign up for ANYTHING (however you will need to have an account...anonymous checkouts will not allow us to track your rewards.) Once you've made a purchase you can view and manage your rewards by clicking the “Riff Rewards” treasure chest icon in the upper right hand corner of the website once you have signed into your Riff City Guitar account. Please also read the Riff Rewards Terms and Conditions before you use the program.
Love seeing cool guitars?
To see our irresistible
GUITAR OF THE WEEK
SIGN UP NOW!